Most VISITORS to Wardha are Men route to Mahatma Gandhi’s historic Sevagrans Ashram, now a national institution, 8 km (5 miles) northwest of Wardha town. Established by Gandhi in 1933, Sevagram (“Village of Service”) was based on Gandhi’s philosophy of rural economic development. It became the headquarters of India’s National Movement, where Gandhi lived and worked for over 15 years. Spread over 40 ha (99 acres) of farmland, the ashram has numerous kutris or rural dwellings and several research centres. Gandhi’s personal effects, such as his spinning wheel and spectacles, are on display, and khadi, coarse home-spun cotton that Gandhi made famous as the symbol of India’s freedom struggle, is also on sale. A photo exhibit opposite the main entrance depicts scenes from Gandhi’s life, while a hospital catering to the needs of local villagers, is located on the main road. Prayers are held daily at 4.30am and 6pm under a pipal tree planted by Gandhi,
ENVIRONS: Them of Gandhi’s disciple, Vinobha Shave, is 10 km (0 north of Sevagram at Paunar. Bhave started the successful Bhoodan Movement (which literally means “land donation”) that sought to persuade wealthy landowners to give portions of their holdings to the poor.