THE FORT AT Reis Magos was built in 1551 by Don Alfonso de Noronha, the fifth viceroy, as a second line of defence after the forts at Aguada and Cabo (the tip of Dona Paula). It once housed a prison, which was moved to Mormugao in 1996 Adjacent to the fort is the Reis Magos Church. Constructed in 1555, this is one of Goa’s earliest churches, and has the royal Portuguese coat of arms on its facade.
ENVIRONS: Fort Aguada, 4 km (2.5 miles) west of Reis Magos, was built in 1612 as a defence against the Marathas and the Dutch. Its church, dedicated to St Lawrence, the patron saint of sailors, was built in 1630, while the huge lighthouse dates to 1864. Some buildings within the fort now house the state prison. The local beach, Sinquerim, is known for its luxury resorts.