THE BARREN, treeless grounds around Raising Hill were selected by the British as the site of the new capital. Now a heavily-guarded, verdant area, it is dominated by stately buildings such as the twin North and South Blocks of the Secretariat. The two virtually identical buildings that rise impressively from the top of Raisina Hill, were designed by Sir Herbert Baker, who also designed the grand circular Sansad Bhavan (Parliament House) to the north of Vijay Chowk. Both the Rajys Sabha (Upper House) and the Lok Sabha (House of the People) convene here when Parliament is in session. The Lok Sabha’s many heated debates take place in the Central Hall. After the December 2001 terrorist attack, Sansad Bhavan is now closed to visitors. Behind Sansal Bhavan is the Anglican Cathedral Church of the Redemption, inspired by Palladio’s Church of II Redentore in Venice. Originally built for senior British officials in 1931, it is now the diocese of the Bishop of the Church of North India.