THIS SCENIC coastal town,called Cannanore by European settlers, was an important maritime centre in the 14th and 15th centuries. The Portuguese built St Angelo Fort, 5 km (3 miles) south of the city, in 1505. This enormous laterite structure overlooks the fishing harbour and is protected by the sea on three sides. It was later occupied by the British, who established a large military garrison here.
Muzhapilangad Beach, 15 km (9 miles) south of Kannur, is a serene spot with a 4-km (2.5-mile) long sandy beach, safe for swimmers.