THE SEAT OF a powerful Muslim kingdom in the 10th century; Ahmadnagar was founded in 1490 by Ahead Nizam Shah Bahri, the son of a Hindu convert. In 1599, the Mughals, led by Akbar, invaded the city after his favourite commander Abul FazI murdered the ruling sultan. However, the sultan’s sister, Chand Bibi , ably defended the kingdom. The succeeding years saw the rise of Malik Ambar, a former African slave who fought successful battles against neighbouring Bidar ‘ and Golconda . In 1636, the kingdom finally submitted to Mughal rule.
The rulers of the Nizam Shahi dynasty were great builders, and their style of architecture shows an unmistakeable Persian influence. The Ahmadnagar Fort, 4 km (2.5 miles) northeast of the station, was built in 1490, though the impressive stone walls were added in 1563. Its palace, the only surviving structure, consists of a large hall with a series of domes. In 1942 it housed an important political prisoner, Jawaharlal Nehru, who wrote his famous book, The Discovery of India, here. The Jami Masjid dates to the same period. Nearby is the ornate Damri Mosque. Built in 1568, it has a cut-out trefoil parapet and finials topped by miniature pavilions.
Emperor Aurangzeb died in Ahmadnagar in 1707, and his body rested briefly at the small Alamgir Dargah, near the cantonment, before being interred at Khuldabad . To the west of the town lies Bagh Rauza, a walled garden complex. It contains the mausoleum of Ahmad Nizam Shah Bahri, which has a